How to show filename extension in Windows-10?
Here is the solution, how to show filename extension in Windows 10/11, this example is also for Windows 8.1 and Server 2019!
The file extensions under Windows 10 are hidden by default. These let the user know on the computer what type of file a certain file is. Users can view the Windows 10 file extensions by changing a specific setting in Explorer.
1.) Activate / deactivate the file extensions directly in the file explorer!
To 1: In Windows 11: start old Explorer on Windows 11!
1. Please start in Windows 10 or 11 the MS-Explorer, for example via the keyboard shortcut [Windows-Logo + E]
2. click (or tap on your Tablet PC), View or use the shortcut [ALT+V]
3. check mark in the checkbox File name extensions and optional the Hidden items
(to see the hidden files and folders in Windows 10) (... see Image-1 Arrow 1 to 3)
For advanced view settings for Files and Folders in Windows 10/11, click or tap Options (... see Image-1 Arrow-4)
| (Image-1) Windows 10/11 show filename extension!
There are a variety of file formats on the computer for different files, including documents, photos, videos, music files, archives and many more. There are a number of file extensions for these different types of files. Just think of how many different file formats there are for text documents. In addition to Microsoft Word, each office software offers its own file formats. Likewise, there are various formats with varying compression for media, i.e. image, video and music files.
2.) Switch off / on in the folder options of the control panel !
| (Image-2) Show the filename extension in Windows-10/11 Explorer!
More experienced users, professional end users and many users who use their PC for work, however, need the visible file extensions under Windows 10. For example, photographers must know whether the specified image file is a JPEG or RAW format. It makes your day-to-day work a lot more difficult if you cannot recognize the format of your files without an info-out or clicking in the properties of the file. This basically applies to all professionals in the creative field, but also to developers.
3.) What should I watch out for with Windows 11, 10, ... file extensions !
You should not always work with the activated file extension options, or have them displayed, it is mostly confusing for Windows beginners, because you can see all file extensions and folder extensions, some of which are only meaningful and advanced for advanced users make and are intended for the operating system. The random renaming of system files is also not recommended and leads to the non-functioning of the operating system, as well as to a complete system crash.
| (Image-4) File and folder extensions under Windows 10!
FAQ 166: Updated on: 25 August 2023 12:40
The solution is simple to start the screen magnifier in Windows 10, this solution is also for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 without additional software
If you connect a Touchscreen on your Windows 10 PC, here are some ways the drop-down menus aligned to the left side of the mouse cursor pointer
The solution to calibrate the Touch Screen on Windows-10 Tablets or PC, it can be frustrating if your Tablet PC doesnt recognize your handwriting
You can simple Change the Double Tap, Double Click Time for the Touch Screen in Windows-10, for your Tablet or Touch-Screen PC, solution to customize
If you want to burn a CD, or DVD from an ISO file on your Windows-10 OS, insert an recordable CD, Blu‑ray, DVD, or Disc into your disc burner.
The solution is simple to How to hide the mouse pointer eg cursor in Windows-10 while typing a text or press a keyboard key, The solution for Windows 10
The solution is simple to turn off touchscreen on Windows 10 and 8.1, how to disable? Please Run the command devmgmt.msc or open the Device-Manager
»» My question is not there in the FAQ
|Asked questions on this answer:|
- How to force File Explorer to always show file extensions in Windows 10 and 11?
- How can file name extensions be shown or hidden in Windows Explorer?
- How do I change a file extension in Windows 10 and 11?
- Show file name extension in Explorer. Valid for: All Windows versions. Icons / info.png. With this tip you can set whether the ...?
- How to show hidden files in Windows 10 and 11?
- Show or activate file name extension under Windows 10 and 11 is something at all possible?
- How do I force File Explorer to always show file extensions in Windows 10 and 11?
- How to hide extensions for known file types in Windows 10 and 11 Explorer?
- Windows 10 and 11 view hidden files extensions?
- How to see hidden files extension in Windows 10 and 11 Explorer?
- How to hide file name extensions and folders in Windows 10 and 11?
- Show file name extension or suffix under Windows 10 and 11 File Explorer?
- How to Change a File Extension in Windows 10 and 11?
- How to show or hide file name extensions in Windows Explorer?
- How to unhide folders and file name extensions?
- How to show hidden files extension in windows 10 and 11?
- How to view and change file extensions in Windows 10 and 11?
- Windows 10 and 11: show or hide file extensions where is the check mark with file name extensions?
- Windows 10 and 11 show file extension or change file association?
- Filename extension windows program windows 10 and 11 explorer?
- How do I show in folders and file name extensions?
- How can I display or activate the file name extensions in Windows 10 and 11? By default, the display of ...?
- Show file names in Windows by default, show file name extension in Explorer?
- Show / hide file name extensions, Windows: Show file type or file extension (always)?
- Windows 10 and 11 - show file extension and change, where are the file extensions in Windows 10 and 11?
- WWindows 10 and 11 file extension programs?
- How to Hidden files extension in Windows 10 and 11 Explorer?
- How to view the extension on file in windows 10 and 11?
- Windows 10 and 11 files folders and extensions?
- Windows 10 and 11 hides file name extensions?
- How to show file extensions in Windows 10 and 11 via File Explorer Option?
- I have a search query for file name extension in Windows 10 and 11, can you display that, is that possible?
- Windows 10 and 11: Show or hide file extensions I have the free in Windows 10 and 11 or I can no longer show or hide the file extensions?
- Windows 10 and 11 shows hidden file extensions?
- How to display hides file name extensions and folders in Windows 10 and 11?
- How to view file extensions in Windows 10 and 11 using the file explorer option?
- How to see file extension in Windows 10 and 11?
- How to Show and change file extensions in Windows 10 and 11?
Keywords: windows, 11, 10, ten, show, filename, extension, enable, disable, Questions, Answers, Software