Where is the Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows 11?
Activate WSL and install a distribution is available as a Windows subsystem for Linux under Windows 11/10 can be activated / installed very quickly!
1.) Activate Windows subsystem for Linux under Windows 11!
1. As always, open the optional Windows features (OptionalFeatures.exe)
2. Select Windows Subsystem for Linux and Virtual machine Platform
3. Confirm with the [OK] button and wait until the changes are applied to Windows 11
4. For this, a restart of Windows 11 is necessary in order to be able to use the Windows subsystem for Linux
(... see Image-1 Point 1 to 7)
| (Image-1) The Windows Subsystem for Linux on Windows 11!
2.) Install a Linux distribution under Windows 11 or Win 10!
To display available distributions of Linux
1. Start Windows Terminal, PowerShell or the command prompt
2. Run the command wsl -l -o
3. In this example, the Ubuntu is simply installed wsl --install -d Ubuntu
(... see Image-2)
Windows 11 does not currently tell you that Windows needs to be restarted, so you will get an error message in Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, ..., so please restart Windows 11 and then restart the Linux subsystem!
Please activate the Windows feature "Virtual Machine Platform" and make sure that virtualization is activated in the BIOS. Further information can be found at https://aka.ms/wsl2-install
| (Image-2) Install Ubuntu on Windows 11!
3.) Test whether Linux Ubuntu works under Windows 11 or Win 10!
1. Press the Windows-Q key
2. Enter Ubuntu (or Linux)
3. And start the appropriate Linux Windows subsystem
| (Image-3) Run Subsystem Ubuntu on Windows 11!
4.) How does the WSL work under Windows 11 and Windows 10, what must be observed!
You need a 64-bit version of Windows 10, Windows 11 does not have a 32-bit version anyway, so it cannot be the case here!
To use WSL, you need to install a Linux distribution. By default, WSL installs Ubuntu. This gives you access to a full Ubuntu command line environment using the bash shell or any other command line shell of your choice.
You can also access your Linux shell environments through the Windows Terminal app included with Windows 11.
You can activate the Windows subsystem for Linux on all editions of Windows 11, even on Windows 11 Home. You can also install the so-called WSL under Windows 10. When you enable the feature, Windows 11 downloads an MS-made Linux kernel that runs in the background.
The practical thing is that Windows Update keeps the kernel up to date. You can also use your own custom Linux kernel if you'd like.
FAQ 140: Updated on: 10 September 2021 12:35
Yes, if you have a free partition, you can simply install Windows 11 on the same PC as Windows 10 There are no restrictions from Microsoft here, but you
You can simply install Windows 11 from a DVD drive / USB stick, the procedure is the same as with old MS Desktop and Sever OS 1. Create a USB stick
If a Windows 11 update is available, but you do not want to initiate a system restart, you can schedule it Everyone knows the function to ► delay the installation
Especially on tablets it is necessary under Windows 11,10, to be able to create a screenshot without a keyboard in order to capture a screen area Sometimes
Its simple, to enable wireless display on the Windows 11 or 10 to project the screen onto the big screen, in example TV Display or other Miracast, devices
For example, if you have speakers, headphones or a headset connected to your Windows 11 PC, you can block it for applications 1. Via sound options
Sometimes you just want to see what updates have been made on Windows 11 so far, why not, if it is possible 1. See updates in Windows 11 settings
»» My question is not there in the FAQ
|Asked questions on this answer:|
- Using Linux should be available on the Windows 11 OS so that I would be like on a Linux PC?
- Can I also run graphical Linux apps on Windows 11 with GPU access, what needs to be activated to be able to run them well on Windows?
- How does Windows 11 work, the Windows subsystem for Linux, can I activate it on all editions of Windows 11 or does it not work on Windows 11 Home?
- Where is the Microsoft app to install a Linux distribution I want to use?
- Help I can't find the Windows Subsystem for Linux, I would like to be able to run Linux software on the Windows 11 PC?
- Installing Windows 11 update and using the custom Linux kernel with a Linux distribution?
- How do I get access to a full Ubuntu command line environment, or access the Linux shell using the Windows Terminal app?
- Where and how do I install the Windows subsystem / OS for Linux on Windows 11, or a Linux terminal with, for example, Ubuntu in the Windows terminal on Windows 11?
- Where can I enable the Windows 11 subsystem for Linux to install Ubuntu, or just install a standard distribution?
- Where can I activate the function to get Windows 11 to use a Linux kernel running in the background?
- On Windows, how do I install a custom Linux kernel for Ubuntu or another Linux distribution of my choice?
Keywords: windows, 11, subsystem, linux, activate, install, distribution, available, quickly, Questions, Answers, Software