Copying files with COPY commands, cmd with examples?
In Windows you can copy via COPY command without file explorer, files and directories without additional software!
Start the cmd.exe and use the command "COPY" command with COPY /? You can get help on each command line parameter / argument. Here are some examples of copying files / directories under Windows it can be used on Windows 11 / 10 / 8.1 / 7 and with all other Windows operating systems for example Server 2019/2016/2012/2008 etc.
To do this, start the Windows cmd.exe or optionally the Color-Console !
Use copy command with wildcard to copy all DOC files from a directory / drive C: to the directory D:\Folder-1
C:\Windows>COPY C:\*.dok D:\Folder-1
Use copy command with wildcard to copy all files from the C: drive to the USB flash drive in the E:\C-Backup-1 directory.
C:\Windows>COPY C:\*.* E:\C-Backup-1
Use a copy command to copy a specific image file from a directory on drive C: to the USB flash drive in the:
"E:\My Files" folder
C:\Windows>COPY "C:\Files\image_234.jpeg" "E:\My Files\"
Use copy command to copy all JPEG image files from a directory on drive C: to the USB stick in the directory
Important: Use quotation marks ("E: \ My Files \") in folders and files with spaces!
As here in the example!
C:\Windows>COPY "C:\My Files\*.jpeg" "E:\My Files\"
As EXAMPLE 4, but without a confirmation prompt when overwriting existing image files in the destination folder.
Set parameter "/Y" at the end!
C:\Windows>COPY "C:\My Files\*.jpeg" "E:\My Files\" /Y
Overview of COPY PARAMETERS!
ColorConsole [version 2.6.1001]
Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.17134.112]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C: \ Windows \ System32> COPY /?
Copies one or more files to another location.
COPY [/ D] [/ V] [/ N] [/ Y | / -Y] [/ Z] [/ L] [/ A | / B] Source [/ A | / B]
[+ Source [/ A | / B] [+ ...]]
[Goal [/ A | / B]]
Designates the file (s) to be copied.
Indicates an ASCII text file.
Indicates a binary file.
Target file can be created decrypted.
Specifies the directory and / or file name of the new
Checks if the files were spelled correctly.
Uses the nickname (if present) when copying a file with a non-8point3 name.
Suppresses the confirmation prompt when overwriting existing target files.
/ -Y Prompts
for overwriting existing target files to confirm.
Copies network files in a mode that allows a reboot.
If the source is a symbolic link, the link is copied to the destination instead of the actual file pointed to by the link.
The / Y option may be preset in the environment variable COPYCMD. This is overridden by / -Y on the command line. By default, overwrite prompts for confirmation unless the COPY command is executed within a batch file.
To attach files to each other, specify a single file as the destination, but specify multiple files as the source (using placeholders or in the form: File1 + File2 + File3).
You can use this copy command without hesitation on the following operating systems: Windows 11, 10 Pro, Enterprise, Home, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows-Server 2019, 2016, 2012, Windows 7 Basic, Professional, Starter, Ultimate, Ultimate and the completely free!
FAQ 37: Updated on: 4 July 2021 13:57
In Windows you can start programs via AT at a certain time without additional software programs Start the cmd.exe and use the command "AT" in the combination
The command prompt on Windows 11, 10, etc. allows you to view / query shared folders and current sessions / open files The solution is quite simple
Time controlled Autostart of Windows 11, 10, etc. programs In new Windows OS you can use SCHTASK to start programs at a certain time Start the cmd.exe
Please use Eraser to delete sensitive data. It can also clean digital SD memory cards of all recoverable data As with Linux, Appels Mac OS and other systems
Use redirection operators to redirect or save the results of a command prompt in a file on MS Server OS or Windows 11, 10, As with MAC OS and Linux,
It is very easy to create multiple guest accounts for guest users under Windows 11 / 10 / 8.1 / 7, or Windows Server by using command lines It is not only
The solution is very simple to use a command in PowerShell to check whether a file path or folder path is available The solution is very simple with the test-path command,
»» My question is not there in the FAQ
|Asked questions on this answer:|
- Automatically copy files to another folder?
- Copy pictures from the smartphone via cmd command?
- Command prompt Copy files to USB stick?
- command prompt copy dos command?
- I know copying files with the file explorer, does it want to be able to do it in the command prompt can file be copied if the source or destination are also from the network shares?
- Since I often copy or move files to network drives, can I do this via the command prompt, can I then copy data faster than in Windows Explorer?
- Copy Windows 10 shell folder with content?
- Looking for a command to just copy all files with the extension “.dok”, so you can filter other files when copying from a folder?
- Command prompt is the fastest way to copy data, i.e. also several different files, for example in Windows Explorer?
- Windows copy command?
- Copy files folder from hard disk to USB stick with DOS command?
- If all files in a folder want to copy the entire content, what command or quotes should I use?
- Copy all files from one folder to the other cmd?
- Command prompt copy file?
- Copy Windows cmd folder?
- Copy directory structure from c to usb cmd?
- Copy files Windows console?
- Are you looking for the most important CMD commands for Windows to copy to the command line in the command line, to the target directory via a command prompt?
- Can I copy faster with the command prompt on Windows?
- Need tips, placeholders are supported, so the cute asterisks. * .txt to copy all free text files in a folder, for example?
- Copy only Word files command cmd?
- Copy Dos file?
- Copy Windows 10 directory with command prompt?
- Copy Windows 10 files with command prompt?
- Copy command cmd?
Keywords: windows, 11, 10, server, eleven, console, copying, files, copy, commands, examples, file, explorer, directories, additional, software, Questions, Answers, Software