How can you clean or shrink the winsxs folder? It takes up too much disk space!
Yes, the WinSxs ("C: \Windows\winsxs") is a mystery, an enigmatic phenomenon :)!
Content / Tips / Solutions:
It seems as if WinSxs would consume the hard disk space, but this was already the case with Vista, not only in Windows 10, 8.1, 7, ..., here is a brief definition of the term to understand the size of WinSxS and how Windows assigns and handles the files!
1.) The WinSxs folder is actually not as big as it claims to be!
In any case, it is the case that the WinSxs folder is actually not as big as it specifies or as it is displayed by Explorer.
There are a lot of "hard links" stored in the WinSxs folder that refer to the real files. In MS-Explorer, of course, these appear as real files, sometimes over 10 "hard links" are created for a single file.
What does that mean exactly:
If the file concerned (10 "hard links") has a size of "1 MB", 11 MB appear in Explorer. You yourself + the 10 "hard links", ie 11 * 1MB.
2.) Brief explanation of "hard links"!
One speaks of "hard links" if several entries refer to the same file descriptor, in clear text: to the real entry on the hard disk (file record).
You can think of this as a shortcut, only that it is also registered as a file in the normal file system, although it is not there as such, but only represents a reference to it.
For this reason, the term "hard links".
| (Image-1) Windows 10, 8.1, ... disk capacity, free and used space!
4.) Why is it getting bigger (the WinSxs folder)?
And every time you install and uninstall new software, you can find that your winsxs gets bigger and bigger because Windows 10, 8.1, ... or MS-Server creates multiple copies, or "hard links", for example to save the DLL files to avoid compatibility problems in the applications.
However, this also happens if you have installed and uninstalled the same software. As an example: You install OFFICE, uninstall it and install the same again. The result: WinSxs gets bigger and bigger, or even more "hard links" in WinSxs!
5.) Delete it yourself in the WinSxs folder and ensure order!
You should never do that!
You can see the real drive usage - consumption! For example, if you right-click on the drive and select properties (... see Image-1) , you can clean the drive by clicking on "Clean" or by deleting the restore points via the "Other options" tab.
This means that older Windows PC backup images or complete restore points can be cleaned up and space is saved on the hard disk.
5.) Why was that introduced in Windows 7 and Vista?
Well, it should be for compatibility and security. Not just to confuse us, although once you understand it you are still confused.
6.) Why was that different in Win XP and Server?
XP could be installed on FAT-32, under "FAT-32" no hard links are possible, so the "hard links" were not used by Windows XP, or only in rare cases.
You can free up additional space by removing all but the last restore point.
| (Image-2) Clean the SYSTEM Disk C!
FAQ 28: Updated on: 9 June 2020 11:32
In any case, the WOW64 in Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Server 2019, 2016, has nothing to do with "World of Warcraft". Content: 1. WOW64 in MS Windows
There are a few ways to find out what type of CPU is in a Windows PC without having to open the case. It goes without saying that every user wants to know
This is the version number of Windows, for example Windows 2000 has the Windows version number 5.0, the "Windows XP" 5.1 and the Windows XP 64 bit the version
If you have a nice large PC monitor or LED TV, the question naturally arises I can connect it to my MacBook PRO, AIR . Yes it works To use the MacBook
This is the power saving function of the new CPU-s AMD, INTEL, etc.. The processor automatically switches them down to save energy. If the CPU power is
Find the Windows-Logo Key on the Windows Keyboard the shortest and fasts way The Windows key is one of the most powerful keys on a PC keyboard. See:
»» My question is not there in the FAQ
|Asked questions on this answer:|
- Winsxs Service Pack Tool folder, can I make the Windows folder smaller?
- What happens if I delete the content of winsxs?
- Windows 10, 8.1, .. winsxs cleanup, Server 2019, 2016, ... winsxs cleanup?
- Winsxs shrink Server 2019, 2016, ... prompt?
- Which clean program cleans WinSxS?
- Windows directory> WinSxS enlarge?
- Winsxs directory big?
- Delete Winsx after vista update Win 7 Winsxs?
- To delete Winsxs folder win8?
- Windows Server 2019, 2016, ... disk clean up winsxs?
- Cleanup Winsxs old fresh Windows installation, Windows 10, 8.1, .. size installation shrink Winsxs?
- WinSxS win 10 cleaning?
- I want to delete the WinSxs to ensure order, it is much too big for me!?
- Windows 2008 winsxs clean up, Windows 10, 8.1, .. which folders can you delete?
- Can something be deleted in win7 Winsxs?
- Winsxs clean up Windows Server 2003 error 87?
- Windows server 2011 delete files?
- Winsx's folder is too big?
- Winsxs folder windows 10?
- To clean windows 8?
- Windows 10, 8.1, .. free up space winsxs?
- Winsxs Windows xp empty, winsxs clean up Server 2019, 2016, ...?
- Winsxs folder Win 2008 can I delete it?
- What is winsxs / manifests, Windows 2008 winsxs clean up?
- How can I avoid Winsxs growing up?
- What is winsxs folder,> Reduce Winsxs, cleanup C: Windowswinsxs server?
- Clean up the WinSxS folder 2008 r2?
- Reduce or delete Winsxs?
- Make Winsxs folder smaller windows 8, Winsxs folder?
- To clean windows 2008 r2 winsxs?
- Windows folder takes up too much space in Windows 10, 8.1, ..?
- Windows 2008 server space windows directory?
- Windows 10, 8.1, .. winsxs clean up, winsxs 25 gb?
- Winsxs clean up Windows 10, 8.1, .. or shrink Winsxs?
- Windows 10, 8.1, .. is getting bigger, Windows 10, 8.1, .. Winsxs folder increas to 29 gb?
- What does the Winsxs folder mean you can empty Winsxs Windows 10, 8.1, ..?
- Win2008 Explorer more free space than hard disk, win7 system directory storage space?
- Shrink Winsxs Windows Server 2019, 2016, ..., Windows storage space is always full of winsxs?
- Windows Server 2019, 2016, ... winsxs directory too big?
- Delete winsxs files Windows 10, 8.1, .. 2011, shrink winsxs windows vista?
- Clean Sbs 2008 software distribution?
- Shrink Winsxs Server 2019, 2016, ... with cmd?
- Windows 2008 free space deleted files?
- Terminal server update clean storage location?
- C windows winsxs manifests, reduce Windows 10, 8.1, .. directory winsxs?
- Winsxs gross, clean Windows assembly?
- Delete manifest files?
- Can I delete the Windows 10, 8.1, .. folder WinSxs, or what should I watch out for!?
- Winsxs folder takes up a lot of space, Winsxs vista?
- Can I clean up the winsxs folder myself?
- Win7 shrink Windows folder, shrink Windows 10, 8.1, .. winsxs?
- Where are the drivers stored Winsxs, Windows 2008 clean up Winsxs?
- Windows 10, 8.1, .. clean up Winsxs or eg Winsxs clean up Server 2019, 2016, ...?
- What is in the Windows / winsxs file, Windows 10, 8.1, .. winsxs folder clean up?
- Windows 2008 winsxs clean up?
- Clean Windows folder, many files in windows / winsxs twice?
- Slim Windows directory?
- Can you delete winsxs folder in Windows 10, 8.1, .. or shrink winsxs in Windows 2008?
- Drive c windows folder very large?
- How can I delete the winsxs folder, Windows 10, 8.1, .. Windows directory too big?
- Windows 10, 8.1, .. winsxs empty, clear manifest cache?
- Windows 10, 8.1, .. restore point?
- Clean Windows 10, 8.1, .. Winsxs, clean Windows Winsxs?
- How to clean or shrink the Winsxs folder, it takes up too much hard drive space on c :.?
- Can Winsxs be deleted, Winsxs shrink Windows 8?
- Server 2019, 2016, ... winsxs directory, Server 2019, 2016, ... empty winsxs?
- What is saved in the Backup winsxs folder?
Keywords: beginners, clean, shrink, winsxs, folder, takes, much, disk, space, windows, mystery, enigmatic, phenomenon, content, tips, solutions, actually, Questions, Answers, Software