USB-3 is just as fast or slow as my USB-2, why?
If you buy an external USB-3 hard drive and it is not faster than USB-2, then you should check the following!
1.) The most common cause is too little power for USB 3.0!
If it is an external adapter USB-3 to SATA, or IDE, it should have two connections, one for the USB3 connection and an additional one to get enough power for USB-3! ( ... see Image-1 )
It does not matter whether it is connected to Windows 10 or 8.1, if the power supply is insufficient, USB-3 works the same as USB-2.
There are fewer problems with SSD because the power consumption is lower, but here too there can be a 20% to 30% loss of speed. You will then not achieve the full data transfer rate that USB-3 can normally provide.
| (Image-1) USB-3 at full speed!
Help my USB 3 is too slow!
This speed dependency not only causes confusion among Microsoft Windows PC users, but also with Samsung smartphones, Apple Macs and Linux users. If the power supply is sufficient, it will also work with full data transfer under USB3.
2.) Further possibilities and causes for too slow USB 3.0!
The correct power supply for USB 3.0, USB 3.1 and USB 2.0 is important
For this: ►► My external USB hard drive doesn't work on the USB HUB, why?
If a USB stick is declared with 3.0, it does not mean that it can reach the full 300 MB per second! Only external SSD hard drives can do this!
The virus scanner slows down the access, this can be avoided or turned off!
To do this: ►► Exclude external drive from Defender Virus Scan!
3.) What is USB anyway?
Abbreviation for Universal Serial Bus (German: Universal Serial Bus), USB is a plug-and-play interface that enables a computer to communicate with peripheral devices and other devices.
FAQ 45: Updated on: 24 November 2020 11:25
One wonders whether defragmenting or optimizing the hard disk or USB drive makes sense and whether it is necessary to do this under Windows or MAC OS Content:
The difference between drives and hard disk is easy to explain, regardless of whether it is Windows, MAC PC, LINUX, or Android Drives are a general category
All operating systems offer one or more options for making a simple test print Here I have created a simple test page in doc, pdf, xlm and rtf format in
There are a couple of ways you can find out what type of CPU is in a Windows PC without opening the case. It goes without saying that every user wants to
Many are wondering what data transmission speed you can achieve with full duplex LAN connections A copper gigabit connection for PC reaches 10/100/1000
Find out the differences between WLAN Wireless LAN and a WLAN Wireless Fidelity and why the difference between the network protocols is so important
The designation of shortcut key, speed dial key and key combination are almost identical in terms of their function Detailed: ►► Difference between keyboard
»» My question is not there in the FAQ
|Asked questions on this answer:|
- Why is my USB 3.0 controller slow, the hard disk speed does not increase, is it the driver?
- USB 3.0 drive slow transfer speed I made the USB 3.0 drive optimize for slow transfer speed?
- Disk only installed with USB 2.0 is faster than USB 3.0 why do I have no advantage if I have several USB sticks or external hard drives connected to the PC USB 3.0?
- My USB 3.0 drive under Windows is too slow, what could be the solutions?
- Is it enough for USB ports with version 3.0 the data transfer does not have the appropriate speed despite the associated USB 3.0 controller?
- Did optimize USB 3.0 drive through device manager, and convert USB 3.0 drive from FAT32 to NTFS USB 3.0 drive slow transfer speed the problem need solutions to perform?
- USB 3.0 drive slow transfer speed optimize performance?
- My correctly connected USB 3.0 hard drive is too slow, why?
Keywords: beginners, usb-3, just, fast, slow, usb-2, external, hard, drive, faster, than, then, should, check, following, content, most, common, cause, Questions, Answers, Software