Can I encrypt certain folders / files in Windows 11?
Many users wonder if you can encrypt certain folders or files on Windows 11, the answer is like on other MS Windows OS, YES!
If you want to encrypt a Windows 11 file or folder, proceed as follows, but this is only possible from version Windows 11 Pro and higher!
1.) Encrypting the directories or files under Windows 11!
1. Select the file or folder that you want to encrypt.
2. Right-Click the file or folder and select Properties
3. On the General tab, click the Advanced button .
| (Image-1) Encrypt certain folders or files on Windows 11!
2.) What should I watch out for when encrypting the data?
After ► encrypting folders, directories, ... you will be asked to save the file encryption certificate and the key!
It is best to save your certificate on an external data carrier, which you then keep in a safe place so that you can access your encrypted data!
(... see Image-2)
A *.pfx file is created to get access to the protected data if necessary, you only have to remember the password to get access to the encrypted data!
| (Image-2) Windows 11 encrypt folders, files and secure certificate!
3.) Why should the certificate and key be backed up?
This question is almost unnecessary!
Creating this security file can prevent the protected data from becoming inaccessible. The certificate and the associated key should be saved on a removable medium USB, DVD, CD, ...!
4.) More tips on certificates, security and Co. on MS Windows OS!
FAQ 118: Updated on: 25 June 2023 09:51
Potentially unwanted apps are also blocked under Windows 11, as under Windows 10, if they have not been deactivated If you want to be sure that this option
If you want to prevent the thumbnails from being temporarily saved under Windows 11, you have to change a registry entry 1. Deactivate the thumbnail
The desktop folder or the desktop directory on Windows 11, 10, is especially useful when you have different users on the PC 1. Your own desktop
In Windows 11 you can set an internet data limit so that your PC does not use more than the allowed amount of data The nice thing is that in Windows 11
The upgrade from Windows 10 to the Microsoft Windows 11 operating system is free You can start an upgrade to Windows 11 under Windows 10 directly or you
The system fonts are also available in the new Windows 11 and are very numerous in the Windows 11 fonts folder 1. Find the system fonts under Windows
Anyone who has the necessary rights can also adjust the respective energy saving plan under Windows 11 in order to save energy Everyone probably knows the
»» My question is not there in the FAQ
|Asked questions on this answer:|
- Prevent other users of the system from seeing the files and not opening them, even if they are Windows 11 administrators?
- How do I select a file or folder to encrypt on Windows 11, look for an example when I want to encrypt a folder with all subfolders and files?
- How do I encrypt and protect my USB drives without additional software on Windows 11?
- Can I reverse, disable encryption of encrypted files or folders?
- How do I encrypt files and folders in Windows 11 or 10, does Windows 11 include a built-in file encryption feature?
- How do I go about encrypting a folder or file, is it easy via Windows 11 File Explorer?
- Use BitLocker in the Pro and Enterprise versions, with external USB drive and BitLocker?
- I am afraid that other users will access my system and access my files is there an easy way to encrypt files and folders in Windows 11?
- Encrypt files and folders with EFS so that they are only decrypted when logging in to Windows, with which the file was encrypted on Windows 11?
- Encrypting file system with encryption certificate with password on MS Windows 11 or 10?
- Do I want to encrypt folders and files under Windows 11, i.e. all folders and files not just the main folder? Will any files or folders I create in the main folder in the future also be encrypted with an encryption key that I can back up?
Keywords: windows, 11, encrypt, certain, folders, files, secure, certificate, pfx, Questions, Answers, Software