Is portable use of Desktop Icon Save possible ho to find the DesktopOK.ini?
A portable use of DesktopOK on Windows is possible, and it does not matter whether it is Windows 10 / 8.1 or Windows 7 or Windows Server!
By default is the DesktopOK.ini in: "C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\DesktopOK\DesktopOK.ini"
For portable use: create or copy in the same directory (DesktopOK Work-directory) the file DesktopOK.ini.
will uses this to save the desktop icon layouts. (Please restart DesktopOK)
Please don't Save in Protected folders in Windows 10.
Content / Solutions / Tipps:
◄ from Ver 6.46
1.) How to find, ergo Where is the file DesktopOK.ini saved to?
From Version 5.xx it is very easy to open or find the DesktopOK.ini or the DesktopOK.in Folder Path and DesktopOK, work Directory ergo work folder!
(... see Image-1 Point 1 to 5)
. open the Info Menu
. Edit the DesktopOK Ini
. Open DesktopOK, work Directory
. Open DesktopOK.ini, Folder Path
. DesktopOK.ini info
| (Image-1) Find the DeaktopOK INI-File!
2.) Portable Info to the DesktopOK.ini!
From Version 3.73:
If can't write in the DesktopOK.ini, auto create an ini file in the %appdata%/DesktopOK/DesktopOK.ini to save the Desktop Icons-Location.
Info: Please Run (Windows + R) the Command %appdata% to find this folder!
Important: the Windows 10 x64 is very aggressive to the X32 APPs please use the x64 Version of DesktopOK.
| (Image-2) DesktopOK Portable on Windows-10!
3.) Save in Registry and not in the DesktopOK.ini!
If you rename DesktopOK.exe to DesktopOK_reg.exe, DesktopOK saves the settings in the Windows Registry under:
4.) Portable ini enforce by "_p" in exe name!
If the program file contains a "_p" (*.exe) and no "_reg"!
For better recognition, the program title also shows that it is the portable version of DesktopOK.
You can also make the standard exe to the portable version, by the "_p" in the file name, and observe the rules!
Attention: The folder / file must not be read-only, so full access to the ini is required!
| (Picture-3) Force DesktopOK Portable!
FAQ 1: Updated on: 17 August 2019 05:28
DesktopOK - FAQ-1: Is portable use of Desktop Icon Save possible ho to find the DesktopOK.ini?
ist valid for Microsoft (c): Windows 10
: Pro, Enterprise, Home,
Windows and 8.1
: Enterprise, Pro, Home
: Enterprise, Home, Basic, Premium, Professional, Starter, Ultimate
Windows-Server 2016, 2012, 2008, 2005 .
|Asked questions on this answer:|
- Is there any possibilities to change Storage Directory to D: instead of the default C: ? Thanks a lot for your answer
- Saving goes, recovering is only possible until the computer is switched off. After restart, data lines are gone. There are programs which designate desktopok as PUP. I uninstall such. Was it Avira? 22 OK 2008 Dear sir DesktopOK is really a great and useful freeware but why don't let the program save the *.ini (desktopok.ini) in the same folder of the program so i could be a portable version it could great thanks Why, after a Microsoft Update and a reboot, is the saved desktop file deleted? Defeats the purpose of Desktop OK to help me quickly restore my desktop arrangement. I am quite disappointed at this development.
- It would be nice, if it is stored in the same folder as the program itself in a file, then it could also use the backup, if I make my PC new (install).?
- It appears that the .ini file is already stored in the same directory as the .exe file. So my question was of no interest.
- I changed my computer and want to restore the icon locations. I have saved the locations in my old computer, How can I move the saved files to the new computer? where are the saved files located?
- I'm using DesktopOK 4.94 and I've noticed in this and previous versions that the AutoSave feature is always on, even though it was not enabled by the menu. With option> Auto-Save THIS FUNCTION is not activated at all, here is no checkmark to be seen, accordingly one should not always create any auto-save. Bug in the software? By the way, a small wish: It would be great if you can simply click on an already created icon layout and overwrite it accordingly with OVERWRITE. I call my layout eg with 4K 4K, if I use two 4K monitors next to each other. Sometimes I just want to override the layout instead of deleting it and then creating and renaming a new one. Possible?
- I love your DesktopOK 1.37 because I use this for a VM that I often use to present. But what I wanted to know, WHERE does the program save the settings? So that I can also back-up these externally. 1000 thanks Chr .....?
- Currently it is that if you want to save a current layout under a certain name, you have to delete the last backup (with the desired name), then saves the current layout and then rename it according to the previously used name again. It would be good if you could just select the current layout (eg with the name "4K | 4K", if you use two 4K monitors) and click on Save, you will be promptly asked "Overwrite?" and you just have to confirm with OK. That would greatly simplify the process.?
- We have the problem that our users do not have administrator rights and therefore no write permissions in the Windows folder.? Is not it possible to save the DesktopOK.ini in a user-related area? eg in the user profile (variable% userprofile%) Thus every user could save his own icon layout. Many Thanks!? But it would be desirable to be able to set the path for storing the DesktopOK.ini. Then he could be involved in the backup.?
- I've been using your DesktopOK tool for quite some time, it's really helpful if you change the screen more often or just access the desktop remotely and all the icons are scattered. I put the DesktopOK folder along with other "portable apps" in my cloud folder, so I do not have to download the tools on multiple machines. This works very well. As a suggestion, I would like to make the automatic alignment of the icons at startup dependent on the PC name. It should therefore be loaded on the laptop, the laptop profile, and on the desktop from the desktop. Can you do something like that?
Keywords: desktopok, portable, possible, windows, 10, 8.1, seven, app, run, program, free, Questions, Answers, Software